Use this page to find out everything you need to know about garden waste:
- The waste containers you can use
- Frequency and time of collections
- Cost of the service
- How to request, change or renew your service
- The items you can (and cannot) put into garden waste
- How you can help us to collect your garden waste
Choose your waste container
You can use a garden waste wheelie bin or Council-branded paper sack to dispose of your garden waste. For a regular collection, order a green wheelie bin and get a yearly subscription. If you only want to book occasional garden waste collections, sacks may be a better option for you.
You can either order a 240 litre bin (size 107cm x 58cm x 73cm) or 140 litre bin (size 106cm x 49cm x 55cm).
A garden waste wheelie bin costs £49.75 per year, plus a one-off charge of £3.18 to deliver your bin. The subscription year runs from July to July. If you take out a subscription part-way through the year, you will pay a reduced amount for the remaining months left. If you want your collection to start in May or June, we will add a charge for these months to a standard annual subscription, and advise you of the cost.
Garden waste wheelie bin charges
|Date of your bin order||Subscription cost||Delivery cost||Total cost||Payment covers period until|
|9 May 2022 - 5 June 2022||£10.40||£3.12||£13.52||17 July 2022|
|6 June - 17 July 2022||£54.08||£3.18||£57.26||16th July 2023|
|18 July - 14 August 2022||£49.75||£3.18||£52.93||16th July 2023|
|15 August - 11 September 2022||£45.42||£3.18||£48.60||16th July 2023|
|12 September - 9 October 2022||£41.10||£3.18||£44.28||16th July 2023|
|10 October - 6 November 2022||£36.77||£3.18||£39.95||16th July 2023|
|7 November 2022- 15 January 2023||£32.45||£3.18||£35.63||16th July 2023|
|16 January - 12 February 2023||£28.12||£3.18||£31.30||16th July 2023|
|13 February - 12 March 2023||£23.79||£3.18||£26.97||16th July 2023|
|13 March - 9 April 2023||£19.47||£3.18||£22.65||16th July 2023|
|10 April - 7 May 2023||£15.14||£3.18||£18.32||16th July 2023|
|8 May - 4 June 2023||£10.82||£3.18||£14.00||16th July 2023|
Garden waste sacks
A single garden waste sack costs £3.10. This may be more suitable if you have a one-off clear out, or just need to use the service occasionally.
We will only collect Council-branded garden waste sacks.
Where to buy your paper sacks
You can buy paper sacks from any of the locations listed below.
- Maurdens Newsagents, 260 High Street, Batheaston
- Bathford Village Shop, Bathford Hill, Bathford, BA1 7SN
- Bathford Nurseries & Garden Centre, Box Road, Bathford, Bath, BA1 7LR
- Gardenalia, Mile End, London Road, Bath, BA1 6PT
- Larkhall Hardware, 6 Lambridge Buildings, Larkhall, Bath, BA1 6RS
- M&K Hardware Ltd, 32 Guildhall Market, Bath, BA2 4AW
- Best one Express, 33 Upper Bloomfield Road, BA2 2RY
- Francis DIY, 39 Moorland Road, Oldfield Park, BA1 3PN
- Prior Park Garden Centre, Prior Park Road, Widcombe, Bath, BA2 4NF
- Hillier Garden Centre, Whiteway Road, Bath, BA2 2RG
- Homecharmer, 7A Chelsea Road, Bath, BA1 3DU
- Spar Weston, Brookside House, 8 High Street, Weston, Bath, BA1 4BY
- Radstock Town Council Community Hub, The Street, Radstock BA3 3PR
- Thomson’s Hardware, 5 Fortescue Road, Radstock, BA3 3PH
- High Street DIY, 15 High Street, Midsomer Norton, BA3 2HY
- Percy Community Centre, New King Street, Bath, BA1 2BN
Book a garden waste sack collection
Frequency and time of collections
We collect your garden waste every other week. Find out when your next collection day is using our collection day finder.
The garden waste we can collect
Check the lists below, to know what you can and cannot put into your garden waste bin or sack.
For a complete list of garden waste items we collect, please see our recycling A-Z page.
We don't collect any of the following items in your garden waste bin or sack:
- Soil, peat and turf (this can make your bin too heavy to lift and can damage it, but soil- or compost-bound plant roots are fine)
- Food waste, plastic or cardboard (please recycle these)
- Japanese Knotweed
- Large branches or logs
- Items such as cutlery and plates, even if they are labelled as 'compostable'
- Animal waste, such as dog and cat poo (these should go in your rubbish bin or bag)
Request, change or renew your garden waste subscription
You can request a new garden waste collection, change the number of bins or stickers you need, or renew your yearly garden waste subscription.
To add more garden waste wheelie bins, you need to pay your annual subscription first.
To decrease your number of garden waste wheelie bins part-way through the year, you can call us on 01225 394041. Please note, we won't refund your subscription cost if you decrease your number of garden waste wheelie bins part-way through the year. Alternatively, you can decrease your number of garden waste wheelie bins when you next renew your garden waste subscription.
If you are a current garden waste user, you will receive a postal notice to renew your subscription in April or May. This letter contains your garden waste reference number. You will need this number to renew your subscription.
Please let us know if you are moving house. This will ensure that we can continue to collect your garden waste from your new address.
If you are moving out of the district and no longer need a service, please let us know using our online form.Tell us if you are moving house
Putting your garden waste out
Please help us to collect your garden waste quickly and efficiently, by doing the following.
- Put your bin or bag at the edge of your property closest to the road.
- Put your garden waste out by 6am on your collection day (and no earlier than 8pm the night before)
- Put your sticker on your bin to show you've paid
- Don't overfill your bin (we won't collect overloaded bins or return for them, but we will leave a note on your bin or sack if this has been an issue).
If your garden waste wheelie bin or sack is frozen and we can't empty it, we'll return for it on your next scheduled collection day.