Find out when we collect your garden waste, and how much it costs. You can also request, change or renew your garden waste collection, find out what we do and don't collect, and what you can do to help us collect your garden waste.
We collect your garden waste every other week. Find out when your next collection day is using our collection day finder.
to 4 December 2020 and 18 January 2021 to 17 July 2021.
Wheelie bin or sack
You can pay for a garden waste wheelie bin or sack.
A garden waste wheelie bin costs £46.82 per year, plus £3 to deliver your bin (this is a one-off charge). You need to renew your subscription every July. If you join part way through the year, you pay for the remaining months on a pro-rata basis. If you join in May and June you will be charged more as the initial subscription will be for longer than a year.
You can either order a 240 litre bin (size 107cm x 58cm x 73cm) or 140 litre bin (size 106cm x 49cm x 55cm).
Garden waste wheelie bin charges
|Month bin is ordered||Subscription cost||Delivery cost||Total cost||Payment covers period until|
|1 May - 19 June||£54.96||£3||£57.96||17 July 2021|
|20 June - 19 July||£50.89||£3||£53.89||17 July 2021|
|20 July - 23 August||£46.82||£3||£49.82||17 July 2021|
|24 August - 20 September||£40.71||£3||£43.71||17 July 2021|
|21 September - 18 October||£36.64||£3||£39.64||17 July 2021|
|19 October - 22 November||£32.57||£3||£35.57||17 July 2021|
|23 November 2020 - 17 January 2021||£26.46||£3||£29.46||17 July 2021|
|18 January 2021- 21 Febuary 2021||£24.43||£3||£27.43||17 July 2021|
|22 Feb - 21 March||£20.36||£3||£23.36||17 July 2021|
|22 Mar - 18 April||£16.29||£3||£19.29||17 July 2021|
Garden waste sacks
A garden waste sack costs £2.95 each and you can put your sack out for collection on your garden waste collection day. This may be more suitable if you have a one-off clear out, or just need to use the service occasionally.
Buying paper sacks
You can buy paper sacks from any of the locations listed below (updated list during COVID-19).
- Bathford Village Shop, Bathford Hill, Bathford, BA1 7SN
- Best one Express, 33 Upper Bloomfield Road, BA2 2RY
- Homecharmer, 7A Chelsea Road, Lower Weston
- Francis DIY, 39 Moorland Road, Oldfield Park
- M&K Hardware Ltd, 32 Guildhall Market, Bath City Centre
- Maurdens Newsagents, 260 High Street, Batheaston
- Radstock Town Council Community Hub, The Street, Radstock BA3 3PR
- Stowey House Farm Ltd, Stowey, Bishop Sutton, BS39 5T
- Thomson’s Hardware, 5 Fortescue Road, Radstock, BA3 3PH
- Winford Road Garage, Littleton Mill, 7 Chew Road, Chew Magna, BS40 8HJ
What goes in your garden waste bin or sack
We collect various garden items, but there are some items which we don't collect.
For a complete list of garden waste items we collect, please see our recycling A-Z page.
We don't collect any of the following items in your garden waste bin or sack:
- Soil, peat and turf (this can make your bin too heavy to lift and can damage it, but soil or compost bound roots are fine)
- Food waste, plastic or cardboard (please recycle these)
- Japanese Knotweed
- Large branches or logs
- Items such as cutlery and plates that claim to be compostable
- Animal waste, such as dog and cat poo (these should go in your rubbish bin or bag)
Request, change or renew
You can request a new garden waste collection, change the amount of bins or stickers you need, or renew your yearly garden waste subscription.
To add more garden waste wheelie bins, you need to pay your annual subscription first.
To decrease your number of garden waste wheelie bins part way through the year, you can call us on 01225 394041. Please note, we won't refund your subscription cost if you decrease your number of garden waste wheelie bins part way through the year. Alternatively, you can decrease your number of garden waste wheelie bins when you next renew your garden waste subscription.
We'll send you a renewal notice (usually April or May) in the post with your garden waste reference number on. You need this to renew your garden waste subscription.
Putting your garden waste out
To help us collect your garden waste, please take note of the following.
- place your garden waste at the edge of your property closest to the highway
- place your garden waste out by 6am on your collection day (or no earlier than 8pm the night before)
- place your sticker on your bin to show you've paid
- don't overfill your bin (we won't collect overloaded bins or return for them, but we will leave a note on your bin or sack if this has been an issue).
If your garden waste wheelie bin or sack is frozen and we can't empty it, we'll return for it on your next scheduled collection day.