Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

Local requirements for planning applications

Implementing the LPPU and SPDs with old Local List

The Local Plan Partial Update (LPPU) and some Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) have been adopted with effect from January 2023. Unfortunately the Local List of Planning Application Requirements (LLPAR) requires a separate public consultation before it can be changed. Until the LLPAR is updated please see the below list of policies to check what the new recommended validation requirements are, and what you are now advised to submit before your application is registered.

For further guidance on submission requirements please email

There is a huge range of different sorts of planning application, depending on the current use and status of the site, and the development you're proposing. To find out which application type you need, go to the Planning Portal. Once you know your type of application, you can view the local checklist for documents you'll need to supply below.

For all types of application, please ensure that the documents and plans you supply are in line with our best practice guidance.

Permission in principle

Prior approvals and notifications (including agricultural and changes of use)

Prior approval - new agricultural development

Prior approval - change of use

* = Covers Associated Operational Development
= Only applicable for sites outside of the Central Bath area
= Covers any land within original curtilage 
§ = Application to determine if prior approval is required

Prior notification

Prior approval - new development

Prior approval -  temporary use

Prior approval - demolition

Appropriate Alternative Development (in the case of a Compulsory Purchase Order)