You will need to apply for a school place if your child is starting any type of school for the first time, or transferring to a new school. These pages give you all of the information you need to know to understand the different types of school which are available, find a suitable place for your child, and to guide you through the admissions process.
If you are applying to an independent (or private) school, you will need to contact the school directly to find out about their admission arrangements. If you plan to teach your child outside the school environment, please go to our Elective home education page.
- Find out about local schools
- How school admissions and school admissions appeals work
- Apply for a primary school place (Reception)
- Apply for a secondary school place (Year 7)
- Apply for a junior school place (Year 3)
- Apply for a middle school place (Year 5)
- Apply for a Key Stage 4 place (Year 10)
- Apply to move into an existing school year group (in-year applications)
- Deferred, delayed and accelerated school admissions
- Apply for a place in a school outside Bath and North East Somerset
- Public consultations on school admissions