We run a consultation on the proposed admission arrangements for our schools every year, so that you have an opportunity to have your say about how we allocate school places. To understand the process and how you can get involved, select a topic from the list below.
Admissions consultations give parents an opportunity to influence our education policy. We also make sure that the following people and bodies, who are involved in education in our area, have a chance to see and comment on the documents:
- Head teachers and chairs of governors of all mainstream schools and academies in Bath and North East Somerset
- Neighbouring local authorities
- The Diocese of Bath and Wells, and the Clifton Diocese
- Bath & North East Somerset councillors
We set the admissions criteria, or policy, for Community and Voluntary Controlled schools, and we include these in our public consultation.
Some schools set their own admissions policy, such as academies and free schools, and will publish this for public consultation (see below). Even in these cases, we as a council still have to co-ordinate the admissions process, so we publish the scheme for this. We also publish the numbers of places each school will have, and how we will deal with applications to move to a school within the school year.
Depending on when you view this page, the documents for the next consultation may or may not be available. The key documents we normally consult on are as follows:
- Co-ordinated admissions schemes for primary and secondary
- Admissions criteria for community and voluntary controlled schools
- In-year admissions arrangements
- Admissions numbers (how many places each school can offer)
When schools set their own admissions policy
Academies, Voluntary Aided schools and free schools all set their own admissions policy. They will run their own consultation process on this policy. We will add relevant consultation documents when they become available. Please always contact schools you are interested in first, to check what consultations they are running.
The consultation period is normally in the autumn and winter of the academic year before the arrangements will apply, so almost two years before the school intake. Council consultations run from mid-October to early December, and schools which set their own admissions policies may give interested parties a chance to consult on them until the end of January.
Here is an example of the cycle from consultation to policy, to admissions process, and finally when pupils take up their school place:
- October 2020 to January 2021
- Consultation for the arrangements for 2022 to 2023
- Mid-March 2021
- We and our schools confirm and publish the arrangements we will be using
- Autumn 2021 to Spring 2022
- You make your preferences, apply for a place for your child, and we allocate places, using the agreed arrangements
- September 2022
- Pupils start at their agreed school place
For council consultations
Please send your comments by email to firstname.lastname@example.org Or write to us at:
- The Admissions and Transport Unit
- Bath & North East Somerset Council
- Lewis House
- Manvers Street
- Bath BA1 1JG
For school consultations
Please contact the school directly, addressing your comments on their proposals to the Headteacher or Chair of Governors. You should find their contact details on each school's website.