Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Schools, colleges and learning
  3. School admissions
  4. Apply for an in-year school place

Apply for an in-year school place

Most school place applications are processed through what we call 'bulk transfers'. These are the admissions rounds where children enter a new school at the usual starting time: Reception for infant and primary schools, Year 3 for junior schools and Year 7 for secondary schools. 

However, sometimes it's necessary for a child to move schools at a different stage of their school career. Typical examples include:

  • Changing primary schools for a new academic year other than at Reception, or secondary schools other than at Year 7, due to personal, medical or educational reasons 
  • Moving schools in the middle of a school year, because of a house move

Use these pages to apply for an in-year school place, and to understand how we handle these applications.