We have helped over 1,000 local drivers to adapt or replace their vehicles with cleaner, compliant ones through our financial assistance scheme. This means that they are no longer driving polluting vehicles in the city or having to pay to drive in the zone.
All our funds are now allocated, but if you regularly drive in Bath with a non-compliant van or other chargeable vehicle, please complete the expression of interest form at the bottom of the page so that we can contact you if more funds become available.
Benefits of the scheme
- For many businesses, upgrading to a compliant vehicle could be a cost-effective alternative to paying the charge over the longer term
- Cleaner engines help to reduce harmful emissions in the city
- If you have been approved for a grant and/or interest-free finance, you can apply for an exemption on your existing vehicle while your replacement vehicle is on order
- If you are deemed eligible for funding but you fail the necessary financial checks you can apply for an exemption on any Euro 4 or Euro 5 diesel vehicle for up to two years, and re-apply to the scheme when your finances recover
To be eligible for the scheme, you must:
- have at least one chargeable, non-compliant vehicle that travels an average of two or more times a week in Bath’s Clean Air Zone, over a minimum 60 day period
- have been living at, or trading from your current address since April 2020
- have owned the vehicle you want to replace since April 2020
Existing non-compliant vehicles must:
- Be roadworthy
- Have a valid MOT certificate
- Not be nationally or permanently exempt from charges
Priority is given to individuals, charities, sole traders, and small businesses located in B&NES and neighbouring areas, or with premises in the zone. We will also prioritise businesses that cannot redistribute fleet to be compliant in the zone.
If you are eligible, you can use the funds to reduce the cost of:
- Replacing an existing non-compliant vehicle with a new, or second-hand, vehicle of a similar make or model that meets the required emissions standards
- Adapting (retrofitting or repowering) existing or replacement non-compliant vehicles to meet CVRAS standards
Your replacement vehicle can be a compliant diesel, petrol or a used electric or hybrid vehicle. In exceptional circumstances, we can provide funds to replace a non-compliant vehicle with a different make or model, if this brings an additional air quality benefit, or protects vital services.
The scheme cannot be used for adding vehicles to your fleet.
Selling or trading-in your existing vehicle
If you are replacing your vehicle, you must sell or trade-in your existing non-compliant vehicle on or before the day you receive the new one. You can clarify this process later in your application with one of our financial providers.
Discount for new electric or hybrid vehicles
You can get a discount on the price of a brand new low-emission vehicle through a grant the government is giving directly to vehicle dealerships and manufacturers. Visit GOV.UK to find out how it works and which vehicles are eligible.
In addition to interest-free finance, you could receive a grant of up to 35% of the net upgrade costs (the base price of the new vehicle before any additional cost options less VAT, the trade-in value of your old vehicle and any supplier or manufacturer discounts), significantly reducing the final cost of either replacing or adapting your existing vehicle.
Grants are capped for each vehicle type, as follows:
- Taxis, PHVs and vans: up to £4,500
- HGVs: up to £20,000
- Buses and coaches: up to £35,000
Register your interest in this scheme using our online form (below).
Before we can put you in touch with our finance providers, we need to establish that you drive your vehicle(s) at least two days a week in Bath’s Clean Air Zone.
To record the movements of your vehicle, we will fit a telematic (tracking) device in your vehicle for two months. This must be left in your vehicle all the time, until we ask you to return it. In most instances, this will enable a report of your vehicle’s trips into Bath's Clean Air Zone to be produced. Where this is not possible, alternative evidence may also be accepted in the form of parking charge receipts, zone charge receipts or similar.
If the data confirms that your vehicle is driving a minimum of twice a week in the zone, and you meet the additional criteria listed in the eligibility section above, your application will be passed to one of our finance providers (funds for this scheme are administered by a number of approved finance providers on our behalf).
Exempt from charges
Your vehicle will be exempt from charges if you are approved for a grant and/or interest-free finance, you have a vehicle on order, but you are waiting for your replacement or adapted vehicle to be ready.
You can apply for a temporary exemption for your existing vehicle until you expect your replacement or adapted vehicle to be ready, or for up to two years from the zone’s launch, whichever is sooner.
All applications for funds are subject to credit checks.
The maximum repayment period for the interest-free finance will be 60 months, but this can be extended to 84 months for some specialist vehicles, including buses and coaches.
Register your interest
Funds for the scheme are now fully allocated. Additional funds may become available in the future. Please complete the form below if you have not already registered your interest.
You will need to supply the following information on the form:
- How many non-compliant vehicles you have
- Whether the vehicles have telematics fitted