Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

Club premises certificate

If you run a member's club, you will need a club premises certificate if you want to:

  • sell or supply alcohol
  • provide regulated entertainment, such as live music, a play or an indoor sporting events

You still need a certificate even if the event or activity is for charity.

Before you apply

You need to read and understand the requirements set out on this page before you submit an application for a certificate. We cannot proceed with your application unless you give us all the information we need.

Application details

Your application must include the following details:

  • an operating schedule
  • a site plan of the premises
  • the address of the premises
  • a copy of the club rules

If you plan to sell alcohol, you will also need to include a form of consent from the premises supervisor.

Fees and prices

Prices and fees for club premises certificates are based on the rateable value of your premises, from Bands A to E. You can check your rateable value on the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) website.

Select a topic below, to view the fees and charges for club premises certificates.

Application fees

Club premises certificate application fees
Premises band Price
A £100
B £190
C £315
D £450
D (mainly selling alcohol) £900
E £635
E (mainly selling alcohol) £1,905

Annual fees

Club premises certificate annual fees
Premises band Price
A £70
B £180
C £295
D £320
D (mainly selling alcohol) £640
E £350
E (mainly selling alcohol) £1,050

Other charges

Other charges
Fee Amount
Replacement of a lost or stolen certificate or summary £10.50
Change of the club address £10.50
Right of freeholder to be notified of licensing matters £21
Transfer of a club premises licence £23
Varying a licence to specify a premises supervisor £23
Minor variation to a club premises licence £89
Provisional statement of construction, extensions or alterations £315

Certificate duration

We grant club premises certificates for the lifetime of your business, unless we state otherwise.

However, we can revoke or suspend your certificate if you breach the terms of your certificate. You can also surrender a certificate, if you want to.

You must pay an annual fee to maintain the certificate.

How to apply

We are currently developing an online application form. At the moment, you can complete a PDF application or declaration form and send this to us by emailing us at

Further information

Once you have applied for a new certificate, or applied to vary an existing certificate, you must also do the following:

  • Give public notice of your application in a local newspaper within 10 days of the application
  • Display a notice outside the premises for 28 days (you must print this on pale blue paper)

Select a topic below to find out more about club premises certificates.

The application process

Once we receive your application, we will start a 28 day public consultation period.

We will notify and consult with:

  • Planning
  • The Fire Authority
  • The Police
  • Trading Standards
  • Environmental Health
  • Director of Public Health
  • Home Office Immigration Enforcement

All of the responsible authorities listed above or any other person can make a representation about an application within the 28 day consultation period. 

We must allow 28 days for objections to be made. If we receive any objections, the application will be referred to our Licensing Committee for determination.

The Chief of Police can give notice if they believe that the transfer of a certificate to another under a variation application could undermine crime prevention objectives. The Police must provide this within 14 days of receiving notification of the application.

If we do not receive any relevant representations against your application, we will grant the certificate once the consultation period ends.

Processing time

We aim to determine applications within 60 days.

Tacit consent applies. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us after 60 days.


If you want to appeal a licence rejection, please contact us by email at

A certificate holder or applicant may appeal against any of the following decisions:

  • Refusing an application for the grant of a certificate
  • Refusing an application to vary a certificate
  • Refusing an application to transfer a certificate
  • Attaching conditions to a certificate
  • Excluding an activity
  • Excluding a person as premises supervisor

A club member may also request a review of the certificate. We will give our reasons for our response in a notice

If you wish to appeal a decision, you can apply to Bath Magistrates’ Court within 21 days of being notified of the decision.

Review a premises licence or object to a premises licence application

If you feel that a licensed premises is causing you regular problems, you have the right to apply for the licence to be reviewed

You can also object to a premises licence or club premises certificate that has not yet been granted by making a representation


If you believe a business is operating without a club premises certificate, please report this to us using our online form.

Relevant legislation

Licensing Act 2003

Coal Industry Act 1994

Miners' Welfare Act 1952

Recreational Charities Act 1958

We have made the information on these web pages as comprehensive as possible.  However, in attempting to simplify the law, certain requirements have been omitted. Full details of what you must do are in the relevant legislation.

Laws can and do change. We must advise that only the Courts can give an authoritative opinion on statute law.

Variation, transfer, review and notice templates

If you want to vary or review an existing certificate, you need to complete a PDF application form and send this to us by emailing us at

You can download the forms and any notice templates you need below: