Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

Personal licence

You will need a personal licence if you are supervising the sale of alcohol in any premises, including:

  • pubs
  • off licences
  • restaurants
  • hotels

Not everyone who makes an alcohol sale has to hold a personal licence, as long as a personal licence holder authorises the sale.

Before you apply

You need to read and understand the requirements set out on this page before you submit an application for a licence. We cannot proceed with your application unless you give us all the information we need.

To apply for a personal licence, you must: 

  • be at least 18 years old
  • have the right to live and work in the UK
  • have not forfeited a personal licence in the last 5 years
  • have obtained a current criminal records check
  • have obtained the relevant licensing qualification

Supporting documents

You must provide the following supporting documents as part of your application:

One of the photographs you provide must be verified as accurate by a solicitor, notary, a person of standing in the community or a person with a professional qualification (such as a doctor).

You will need to provide us with your original DBS check and Level 2 Award certificate documents. We will return these originals to you when we send your licence.

Fees and prices

A personal licence costs £37. You will need to pay this on our website.

Pay your licence fee online

Licence duration

A personal licence is valid from the date we issue it to you.

You will not need to renew a personal licence.

How to apply

We are currently developing an online application form. At the moment, you can complete a PDF application form and send this to us by emailing us at

Before you complete the application form, you will need to pay the application fee.

You will also need to send us a completed disclosure of convictions and declaration form.

Further information

Select a topic below to find out more about personal licences:

The application process

If your application is valid and you do not have any unspent convictions for a relevant criminal offence, we will issue your personal licence.

Processing time

We aim to determine applications within 60 days.

Tacit consent applies. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us after 60 days.


If you want to appeal a licence rejection, please contact us by email at


If you believe a person is selling alcohol or authorising the sale of alcohol without a personal licence, please report this to us using our online form.

Changing your details or replacing a lost licence

If you misplace your licence, or change your name or address you must inform us and request a new one. A replacement licence costs £10.50, and you can get one by emailing You will need to return any parts of the original licence that you do have to us.

You must also inform us if you commit a criminal offence in the UK or abroad.

Relevant legislation

Licensing Act 2003

Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974

We have made the information on these web pages as comprehensive as possible.  However, in attempting to simplify the law, certain requirements have been omitted. Full details of what you must do are in the relevant legislation.

Laws can and do change. We must advise that only the Courts can give an authoritative opinion on statute law.