Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

You will need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you are carrying out any of the following activities as part of an event at an unlicensed premises:

  • selling alcohol by retail
  • providing regulated entertainment, such as live music, a play or an indoor sporting events
  • providing hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am
Warning You can be fined or sent to prison for up to 6 months if you carry out an activity at an unlicensed premises without a TEN

Before you apply

You need to read and understand the requirements set out on this page before you submit an application for a permit. We cannot proceed with your application unless you give us all the information we need.

We are only able to accept applications for premises within the Bath and North East Somerset area. You can find your local council on GOV.UK to identify the correct local authority to submit your application to if you are unsure. Please be aware that no refunds will be given if the address is found to be outside of our authority boundary and we are unable to process the application.

To apply for a TEN, you must: 

  • be at least 18 years old
  • apply at least 10 working days before your event

You will need a TEN if you are selling tickets for an event which state that alcohol is provided for free. 

You’ll also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence. For example, holding a wedding reception at a community centre.

If you are organising an event that is likely to attract over 500 people, you will need to apply for a premises licence instead of a TEN.

You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation.

Event details

Your event must have fewer than 500 people at all times, including the staff running the event.

The event can last no more than 7 days (168 hours), and there must be a 24 hour gap between every Temporary Event Notice you submit to us.

Select a topic below to find out more about applying for TENs:

Number of notices you can apply for

You need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises.

If you do not hold a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can get up to 5 TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year.

A single premises can apply for up to 15 TENs in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 21 days.

Late TENs

The latest you can apply for a late TEN is 5 clear working days before the event.

If you do not hold a personal licence, you can serve up to 2 late TENs per year.

If you do hold a personal licence, the limit is 10.

Fees and prices

A TEN costs £21.

This fee covers the cost of processing and is non-refundable in all circumstances, even if the notice is withdrawn, invalid or subject to a counter notice.

Licence duration

We will grant a TEN for a maximum of 7 days.

How to apply

You can apply for a TEN by using our online form:

Apply for a temporary event notice (TEN)

Further information

Select a topic below to find out more about TENs:

The application process

Once we receive your application, we will notify the police and the Environmental Health team. They may object to the TEN if they think your event could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm

If there are no objections, we will grant your TEN.


If the police or Environmental Health object to your TEN, they must give you an objection notice within three working days of receiving the TEN.

If the objection relates to a late TEN, we will issue a counter-notice and your event cannot go ahead.

For standard TENs, if you can agree a mutually acceptable modification to the TEN with the party who objected, we will grant your TEN and your event can go ahead.

If not, we will hold a hearing to consider the objection notice at least 24 hours before the event. We will decide to approve, add conditions or reject the TEN at this hearing.

Processing time

We aim to determine applications within 35 days.

Tacit consent applies. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us after 35 days.


If you want to appeal a licence rejection, please contact us by email at

If we issue a counter-notice to stop your event from taking place, you may appeal the decision.

If we decide not to issue a counter-notice in relation to an objection, the chief of police can appeal our decision.

If you wish to appeal a decision, you can apply to Bath Magistrates’ Court within 21 days of being notified of the decision.

You must make an appeal at least 5 days before the date of the planned event.


If you believe a business or event is taking place without a TEN, please report this to us using our online form.

Relevant legislation

Licensing Act 2003

We have made the information on these web pages as comprehensive as possible.  However, in attempting to simplify the law, certain requirements have been omitted. Full details of what you must do are in the relevant legislation.

Laws can and do change. We must advise that only the Courts can give an authoritative opinion on statute law.

Last date for submissions

Temporary Event Notice deadlines - public holidays/important dates
Event Last date for submitting standard TEN Last date for submitting late TEN
Valentine's Day (14/02/2024) 30/01/2024 06/02/2024
St. Patrick's Day (17/03/2024) 01/03/2024 08/03/2024
Good Friday (29/03/2024) 14/03/2024 21/03/2024
Easter Monday (01/04/2024) 14/03/2024 21/03/2024
Early May Bank Holiday (06/05/2024) 19/04/2024 26/04/2024
Spring Bank Holiday (27/05/2024) 10/05/2024 17/05/2024
Summer Bank Holiday (26/08/2024) 09/08/2024 16/08/2024
Hallowe'en (31/10/2024) 16/10/2024 23/10/2024
Bonfire Night (05/11/2024) 21/10/2024 28/10/2024
Christmas Day (25/12/2024) 10/12/2024 17/12/2024
Boxing Day (26/12/2024) 10/12/2024 17/12/2024
New Year's Eve (31/12/2024) 12/12/2024 19/12/2024
New Year's Day (01/01/2025) 13/12/2024 20/12/2024