Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Adult social care
  3. Housing options
  4. Care homes

Care homes

If you can no longer live independently in your own home, you may consider going in to a care home.

Different types of care homes

There are various types of care homes, which fall into the following broad categories.

Residential care homes

Provide personal care and general help with things like washing, dressing, bathing and going to the toilet, if required - they do not offer nursing care. If you have a health problem that needs a registered nurse, this care will be provided by the District Nursing Service who will visit your care home in the same way as if you were living in your own home.

Care homes with nursing

Provide nursing care 24 hours a day. People living in these homes will have health care needs that can only be met by a registered nurse. Some offer general nursing care for older people, while others specialise in mental health or physical disability. Care homes with nursing are often dual registered to provide both ‘residential’ and ‘nursing’ care. If you choose one of these homes you may not need to move if your condition changes. This type of home also helps couples who may have different needs to live together in the same home.

Specialised care homes

Residential homes that specialise in caring for people with a long term mental health need or a high level of dementia who do not need nursing. A social care and support assessment will determine whether this type of home is suitable for you or not.

Care homes for people with severe physical or learning disabilities, or autism

These care homes specialise in supporting people who have severe physical or learning disabilities or autism. They may or may not provide nursing care and will have a particular focus on the specialised needs of individual residents.

Find a care home or care support

Find a care home or care support yourself

If you're considering moving into a care home or you need care and support at home, you can find this yourself, or ask a friend or family member to do this for you.

The Live Well B&NES website allows you to search for care services in Bath and North East Somerset.

Look under 'Care Homes in Bath and North East Somerset' for local care homes, or 'Care at home' for organisations that can help you live independently at home.

Search for a care home or support online

Ask an agency

You can ask an external agency to find a care home or care provider for you and there may be a charge for this.

Ask us

We can find a home or care provider for you, which we charge an administration fee of £250 plus VAT.

If you ask us to help you find a care home or care provider, one of our social workers will carry out a social care and support assessment to make sure the care provided is right for you. For example, a residential care home is not suitable if you need regular nursing care and they will advise you about this.

We will find homes or care agencies that are suitable for you, and you will then choose which one you prefer. Let the social worker or our brokerage team know if there is anything you would like them to look for, for example the location of the home, or being accompanied to a specific hobby.

If a place is not available in your chosen home, we may be able to arrange for you to move to another home while you wait for the place to become available. If you are in hospital and are ready to be discharged, you may be asked to move to another home until a place becomes available in the home of your choice. This is because the hospital bed will be needed by another person.

Download and complete our self-funder agreement, if you would like us to find a care home or support for you. Send your completed form to Client Finance Team, Bath and North East Somerset Council, Lewis House, Manvers St, Bath BA1 1JG.

Paying for a care home

If you've had a social care and support assessment, and you've been found to have eligible needs, we will then carry out a financial assessment to work out what (if anything) you have to pay.

If you have savings of over the 'upper capital limit’ (£23,250) you will have to pay the full cost of the care. You can pay this yourself or a friend or family member can pay this on your behalf. The invoice will be issued once the placement at the home has been confirmed or care agency has been set up.

Unhappy about a care home?

If you're unhappy about a care home, speak to the manager of the care home first. If you're still unhappy after speaking to the care home manager, speak to your social worker, or the team supporting you.

You can also let the CQC know online, or Healthwatch, by telephone 01225 23 24 01, or email