Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Adult social care
  3. Housing options
  4. Stay in your own home

Stay in your own home

If you're struggling to do day-to-day things like washing and dressing, or if you're feeling unsafe in your home and want to see what equipment is available to help you feel safer and more independent at home, find out here.

Tell us your health or care needs

If you or someone you know needs health or care support, call us on 01225 394570 and select option 2. Our phone lines are open Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm, and Fridays, 8.30am to 4.30pm.

When you call us, think about what is working well at the moment, what isn't working so well and what might make things work better for you, or the person in need of support.

Equipment and changes to your home

We Care and Repair is a not for profit organisation who provide home improvement and repair services in Bath and North East Somerset. They can install anything from emergency help alarms (sometimes known as ‘telecare’ or ‘assistive technology') to hand rails and even specially adapted bathrooms. If you need help to:

  • get on or off your chair, bed or toilet
  • get in and out of the bath
  • climb the stairs
  • get in and out of your home.

They also offer a Handyperson service for home repairs and maintenance.

You can also search for other organisations who help with making adaptions to your home on our website, Live Well B&NES. A visit from an occupational therapist can help you work out what would suit your needs. This might be include a commode, a raised toilet seat, chair or bed raisers or minor alterations like rails or a small ramp. They can also advise whether you can borrow any equipment.

If you are disabled or aged over 60, you can arrange to have someone visit you at home to discuss any repairs or major building work you need. You can also get advice on applying for government grants to help pay for the work.

Sensory loss

If you live in Bath and North East Somerset and have sight loss, hearing loss or both (dual sensory loss), our partner, HCRG will support you or your carer to live as independently as possible. If you already have a specialist social care worker, they will work with you to decide on the most suitable care and support for you. They have specific knowledge and skills in specialist communication (including BSL), deafness, visual impairment and dual sensory loss. Social workers carry out assessments with specific focus on sensory issues and their impacts, provide specialist advice, information, signposting, emotional support and care planning.

You can also find details of services that supports people with sensory loss on our directory website: Live Well B&NES.

Social care and support assessments

If you're not sure what help and support you need, or you think you need some financial support to access services, get a social care and support assessment. A financial assessment is the next stage after a social care and support assessment to work out how much you can pay (if anything) towards your care and support.

What to do if you're unhappy about a service you're receiving
If you're unhappy with the care service you receive, contact the team supporting you at the moment. You can also make a complaint directly to us

You can also contact the CQC online to let them know you're unhappy with a care service, or Healthwatch, by telephone 01225 23 24 01, or email