Before you make a complaint
Before making a complaint, you could try one of the following services:
What can you complain about?
Virgin Care Services Limited provides social care services on behalf of Bath & North East Somerset Council.If you have a concern or wish to make a complaint about services that are provided by them, you should contact them directly. They should give you information about their complaints procedure, and an answer to your complaint. They will also be pleased to hear about your good experiences too. You can contact them by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0300 303 9509. You can also visit their website
If you have arranged care direct with a care provider and are paying with your own money, or your family is paying, you should make your complaint direct to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman
The council deals with complaints about:
- the charge you pay for services and how we have assessed the charge
- safety and safeguarding
- the mental health social work service
- the quality of services which are funded by the council and where the service provider has not been able to resolve the complaint. The council can be asked to consider a complaint earlier where someone is in a very vulnerable situation.
- deprivation of liberty (DOLS) and best interest assessment services.
Who can make a complaint?
The following people can make a complaint:
- the person receiving the service (the service user), or a potential service user
- someone acting on behalf of the service user, or their carer, with their consent
- a representative of the service user if they do not have capacity to make decisions or to give to consent
What do you need to tell us?
When you make a complaint we will ask you for:
- details of the complaint you wish to make
- what you would like us to do to make things right
- copies of any documents you have supporting your complaint
- your contact details in case we need to contact you
- details on any accessibility needs you might have, such as whether you use an induction loop, or require a translator or interpreter.
Please provide as much information as possible about your complaint to enable us to investigate.
What happens after you complain?
We will acknowledge your complaint in three working days. We will talk to you to find out what issues you want to raise and how you would like them to be addressed. We will also discuss with you when you can expect to receive a response to your complaint. It might be helpful to have a meeting to talk about your complaint. If your complaint is particularly complicated or serious we might ask someone who is independent of the council to investigate and write a report on their findings. We will provide you with a written response to your complaint within 15 working days.
Can you get help with making your complaint?
If you would like help to make your complaint there is an advocacy service called Complaints Procedure Advocacy (CPA) at the Care Forum.
Make your complaint online
You can make a complaint using our online form.
Other ways you can complain
You can also complain by calling us 01225 47 77 52 or by writing to Complaints Team, Bath and North East Somerset Council, Freepost SWB10433, Bath BA1 1BF.
What happens if you are not happy with how your complaint was handled?
If you are not happy with the response, you can talk to us about other ways to resolve your complaint. We will also explain to you about taking your complaint to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman