You can make a complaint about a light nuisance or light pollution in the Bath and North East Somerset area.
We can investigate:
- Artificial light coming from residential properties
- Artificial light coming from commercial properties
If you want to report light pollution from a street light, you need to report a lighting issue.
Find out about light nuisances we don't investigate
We don't investigate light nuisances from:
- Bus premises
- Public service vehicle operating centres, such as a fire station
- Goods vehicle operating centres
In these cases, you should report a light nuisance issue directly to the organisation that is causing the problem.
Before you report it
It’s always a good idea to try and resolve problems informally. Try and talk to the lighting owner, they may not be aware that they are causing a problem.
If this doesn't resolve the problem or you can't talk to the person responsible, you can report it to us.
Before you report light pollution you will need the following information:
- Your name, address, telephone number and email address
- The address you are complaining about and the type of nuisance
- When and for how long the nuisance normally occurs
- The way the nuisance affects you
We will not investigate anonymous complaints.
You can report a light pollution problem using our online form.
After you have reported the light pollution issue to us, we will contact you within two working days to discuss the problem.
If a formal complaint is necessary, we will write to the property that is causing the problem. We will tell them that we have received a complaint, and give them advice so they can stop causing further problems.