Supplementary Planning Document
The Sustainable Construction Checklist SPD sets energy efficiency and sustainable construction standards for certain types of development.
Where this requirement applies
The following application types must complete and submit a Sustainable Construction Checklist. Guidance on policy requirements and how to complete the Checklist is set out in the SPD itself.
- All new build residential proposals (one dwelling or more). This includes new buildings erected on the site of existing buildings that are demolished. Dwellings, co-living, student accommodation, holiday lets and HMOs are considered residential development.
- All major new build non-residential proposals (1000m2 commercial floor space or more)
- All medium scale proposals or larger for works on existing buildings, such as extensions that create more than 5 dwellings or 500m² of commercial floor space, or conversions/change of use of buildings with more than 5 dwellings, or 500m² commercial floor space
- All district heating network proposals
- Proposals that are smaller than medium scale on existing buildings are exempt.
- There is no exemption for listed buildings.
Completing and submitting the correct checklist for your development
The tables set out in the Sustainable Construction Checklist SPD PDF document are only representative, and cannot be copied and edited for your own use. If you want to copy and complete a table, you will need to use the appropriate Word document checklist for your development type (from the document list below).
You must complete and submit the appropriate checklist for your application type, as listed on the SPD document:
- Residential developments: Word document checklist table and Energy Summary Tool
- Other developments: Word document checklist table