Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Schools, colleges and learning
  3. School admissions
  4. Apply for an in-year school place
  5. Complete your in-year school place application

Complete your in-year school place application

You will need to make an in-year school place application if your child is moving to a new school to join an existing year-group at the start of the new school year in September, or in the middle of a school year. Use this page to guide you through the application process. 

Before you apply

Use our Find a school guide to help you to explore local schools, and make sure you have the correct details of your first preference school.

Unless your child has previously been home educated, you'll need your child's current or previous school to complete part of the application form. Please plan for this, and contact the headteacher in advance of making your application.

You will need to collect any documentary evidence that you will need to provide to support your application. This may include any of the following:

  • Proof of your current address (or an address that you are moving to)
  • If your child's address is different from yours, evidence of the reasons why
  • Evidence of the child's status, if they are or have been in local authority care
  • Immigration documents, if the child is not an EEA national
  • Evidence of posting or quartering, if your family is UK service personnel
  • A baptismal certificate (or similar confirmation in faith), if faith or denomination is a factor in your school preference

The application form guidance notes will give you detailed information about the types of documents which are acceptable as evidence. Please read these carefully before you complete the form.

Notes on timing

If you make an application just prior to or during a school holiday period, the school will not normally be able to consider it until the new term starts.

Schools normally only consider requests for school places approximately 6 school weeks prior to a requested start date. However, if you are applying for a September admission to an existing year group in a school, you can make your application can from mid-June.

How to apply

You will need a printed copy of the correct form for your child's application (primary or secondary). This is because their current school will need to complete and stamp part of the form. 

Download the application form for an in-year place at a Community primary school Download the application form for an in-year place at a VA or academy school

If you do not have internet access or a printer, you can request a hard copy of the correct form from our School Admissions and Transport team by calling us on 01225 394 312

When the form is complete, including Section 4 (completed by your child's current school), please post it directly to the admissions authority for your first preference school. See guidance notes on the form for further information.

Next steps

Typically, you should hear from the admission authority for the school within 10 school days. This can take longer when large volumes of applications are received before the start of a new term, but applicants must be notified in writing within 15 school days.

If the school cannot offer you a place, they will inform the Local Authority. They will also contact you with the following information.

  • The reasons for the refusal
  • Details of how to appeal against the decision, if you wish to
  • Instructions, if you wish to put your child's name on a waiting list for a place