If you are the only person over 18 in your household, you may be able to claim a 25% reduction on your Council Tax bill (a single person discount).
Before you apply
To apply for a single person Council Tax discount, you will need to:
- register for Council Tax in Bath and North East Somerset
- have your Council Tax account number. This is a seven or nine digit number, and you can find it in the top left hand corner of your Council Tax bill. If you are unsure, please view this example bill.
- When we receive your application, we will verify your information and issue you with a new Council Tax bill. You should receive this within 28 days.
- We will support you through the process of application. If you have any queries or concerns, you can use our online form to contact us.
- We will check every year that you are still entitled to the discount. You may receive a letter asking you to confirm this.
- After you have applied for a discount, you must still pay the amount on your current Council Tax bill until we issue a new bill.
- If you disagree with the amount of Council Tax we ask you to pay after your discount is applied, you can use our online form to contact us.
- You must respond promptly to any letters we send you about your discount. We may cancel your discount if you do not reply when we contact you.
- You must inform us immediately if your circumstances change (for example, you are no longer the only occupant aged over 18 in your household).
Cancelling your single person discount
If the number of people in your household changes, you may no longer be eligible for the single person discount. You must tell us immediately about any change. If you do not inform us, this might increase your bill.
If your circumstances change in other ways, you may be eligible for a different Council Tax discount or exemption. Find out more about Council Tax and benefits by following the links in the panel: More on Council Tax and Other benefits.