Direct Debit is Bath & North East Somerset council’s preferred method of Council Tax payment. Once you set it up, the payments will come out of your account automatically, and you will have nothing further to do. If you would prefer to use another payment method, you can also pay your bill with a credit or debit card online, by phone, by bank transfer, in person at a council office or Post Office, or by post.
Pay by Direct Debit
This is a simple, safe and speedy way to pay your Council Tax. If you are already paying this way, instalments for this year's Council Tax will be paid automatically on the dates shown on your bill, and you do not need to do anything. If you currently pay by any other method, and want to change to Direct Debit, select the link below to get started.
To start paying your Council Tax by Direct Debit, you will need:
- your bank account details and branch address
- the date you would like to pay your bill each month (the 1st or the 15th)
- the number of payment instalments you would prefer (10 or 12) - for operational reasons, we prefer to collect your Council Tax over 10 payments, if you are happy for us to do this
You can set up a Direct Debit online. To set up your payment plan, you will need:
- Your Council Tax account number (This is a seven or nine digit number, and you can find it in the top left corner of your latest Council Tax bill. Please see our example bill)
- Your bank account details
To pay online, you will need a debit or credit card and your Council Tax account number. During the process, you will manually enter the amount you wish to pay. Please note that some banks and building societies may take a few days to deduct your payment from your account balance.
Payment can be made using most credit and debit cards. Unfortunately we are not able to accept American Express.
Pay by phone
You can pay your Council Tax bill by debit or credit card by automated payments line on 0845 372 3501, available Monday to Sunday, 24 hours. We don't accept American Express.
Calls to this number cost 3p per minute plus your telephone providers access charge.
Pay by bank transfer
Use your online banking website or mobile phone banking app
You can use a bank transfer to send us a single payment for any amount, or to set up a regular standing order to pay your bill by instalments. To do this, you will need our bank details below:
- Account Name: Bath & North East Somerset Council
- Bank: National Westminster Bank, Old Bank Branch
- Sort Code: 56 00 34
- Account Number: 57134510
Pay in person
Pay at a council office
- You will need to have your Council Tax account number with you.
- Self-service payment machines are available for cash, debit and credit card payments.
- To pay in cash, you can use coins or notes up to £20 in value. The machines cannot accept £50 notes.
- The machines provide automatic payment receipts.
Pay at your local Post Office
If you already have a Post Office payment card, you can pay your Council Tax at your local Post Office.
- You must allow at least seven days for the payments to reach your Council Tax account.
- Please make any cheques payable to “Post Office Ltd”.
To request a new Post Office payment card,you can use our online form to contact us. Payment cards usually arrive within three weeks of the date we receive your request.
Find out more about Council Tax and benefits by following the links in the panel: More on Council Tax and Benefits.