Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Council Tax and Benefits
  3. Council Tax
  4. Council Tax discounts and exemptions
  5. Apply for Council Tax: probate exemption

Apply for Council Tax: probate exemption

When someone dies, the Council Tax which is payable on their home may change.

Is the property empty or occupied?

When a property becomes empty after a death, it may be possible to claim a probate exemption on the Council Tax which is normally payable for that property (Class F). Apply for an exemption below.  

If you live at the property, but are now the only occupier aged over 18, you cannot get a probate exemption on your Council Tax, but you may be eligible for a reduction on your bill. Please go to the single person discount page to learn more.

Before you apply

To apply for your probate Council Tax exemption, you will need to:

  • register the death with the council
  • have the Council Tax account number of the deceased. This is a seven or nine digit number, and you can find it in the top left hand corner of your Council Tax bill. If you are unsure, please view this example bill.

Apply for a probate exemption 

Next steps

  • When we have verified your details, we will issue a new Council Tax bill. You should receive this within 28 days.
  • The exemption will last from the date of death until probate is granted. Following a grant of probate or letters of administration, a further six months' exemption is possible, if the property remains empty and has not been sold or transferred to someone else.
  • Once the exemption period expires, a full Council Tax charge becomes payable.

Your responsibilities

  • After you have applied for an exemption, you must still pay the instalments on the current Council Tax bill, until we issue a new bill.
  • If you disagree with the amount of Council Tax after the probate exemption is applied, you can use our online form to contact us.
  • You must respond promptly to any letters we send you about the probate exemption. We may cancel the exemption if you do not reply when we contact you.

Cancelling your probate exemption

If the circumstances change, the property may no longer be eligible for the probate exemption. You must tell us immediately when any of the following things happen:

  • Probate is granted
  • The property is sold or transferred
  • The tenancy ends
  • The estate is settled

If you do not inform us, this might increase the bill.

Cancel your probate exemption

If the circumstances change in other ways, the property or its occupiers may be eligible for a different Council Tax discount or exemption. To find out more about other benefits and services available, follow the links in the panel: More on Council Tax and Other benefits and services.