Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Apply for Council Tax: minor exemption

If you are living in a household where everyone is under the age of 18 (a minor), you may be able to claim an exemption from paying Council Tax (class S).

Before you apply

To apply for an minor exemption on your Council Tax, you will need to:

  • register for Council Tax in Bath and North East Somerset
  • have your Council Tax account number. This is a seven or nine digit number, and you can find it in the top left hand corner of your Council Tax bill. If you are unsure, please view this example bill.
  • supply evidence of your date of birth (a passport, birth certificate, driving licence, national insurance card or benefits letter)

Apply for a minor exemption

Next steps

  • When we receive your application, we will verify your information and issue you with a new Council Tax bill. You should receive this within 28 days.
  • We will support you through the process of application. If you have any queries or concerns, you can use our online form to contact us.
  • We will check every year that you are still entitled to the exemption. You may receive a letter, asking you to confirm this.

Your responsibilities

  • After you have applied for an exemption, you must still pay the amount on your current Council Tax bill, until we issue a new bill.
  • If you disagree with the amount of Council Tax we ask you to pay after your exemption is applied, you can use our online form to contact us.
  • You must respond promptly to any letters we send you about your exemption. We may cancel your exemption if you do not reply when we contact you.
  • You must inform us immediately if your circumstances change (for example, someone in your household turns 18, or someone over 18 moves in).

Cancelling your minor exemption

If someone turns 18 or moves into your household, you may no longer be eligible for the minor's exemption. You must tell us immediately about any change. If you do not inform us, this might increase your bill.

Cancel your minor exemption

If your circumstances change in other ways, you may be eligible for a different Council Tax discount or exemption. Find out more about Council Tax and benefits by following the links in the panel: More on Council Tax and Other benefits.