If you are under 18 years old and look after another person at home, you are a young carer. You might be caring for a family member or friend of the family who is:
- physically or mentally ill
- frail and/or elderly
- struggling with problems related to drugs or alcohol
You may do extra jobs in and around the home, such as cooking, cleaning or helping someone to get dressed and move around. You may also give a lot of physical or emotional help to a family member who is disabled or ill.
Support for young carers in Bath and North East Somerset
We commission the Carers' Centre to assess and support the needs of young carers aged up to 18 years old in the area.
You can contact the Carers' Centre directly, or where consent has been given, a professional or practitioner can make a referral to the Centre on behalf of a young person and their family. The Carers' Centre will then undertake an assessment of a young carer’s needs and the support available to meet these needs.
The support they offer aims to help young carers to have the same life opportunities as their peers, feel supported at school or college, have good physical and emotional health, access and achieve their potential in education and training, have their voices heard and be prepared for adulthood and independence.
The project supports young carers by:
- Identifying and supporting young people with caring responsibilities, providing respite through breaks
- Supporting young carers to improve levels of care
- Promoting recognition and awareness of young carer's needs and achievements
- Working alongside other agencies to develop schemes and services which support young carers
Useful support contacts
Young Carers Service, B&NES Carers' Centre
- The Woodlands, Lower Bristol Road, Bath BA2 9ES
- Phone number: 0800 0388 885
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Children's Social Care
For urgent out of hours assistance, you should call our Out of Hours Emergency Duty Team on 01454 615165
Citizens Advice provides information on money, benefits and your rights.
The National Careers Service
The National Careers Service has a helpline, webchat and email service about education and careers for teenagers. Support is also available up to the age of 25 for those who have learning difficulties or disabilities