Some places have conservation area status, to recognise their unique features and character, from a planning and heritage perspective. Protecting this character is an important part of planning decisions in these areas. To support these decisions, we are in the process of preparing character appraisals for each of our 35 conservation areas.
To view or download the character appraisals which are already available, select the named area from the list below. The dates for each place indicate when it was first designated as a conservation area.
The character appraisal documents are large PDF files with detailed illustrations, including maps. You may find they are unsuitable for download onto your mobile phone, or while using other applications on your browser.
There are sixteen character areas within Bath. The ones which already have a draft character appraisal are listed below, while appraisals of others are still in preparation. Please read the appraisals together with the update on work to prepare a Bath conservation area character appraisal.
- View all available Bath conservation area character appraisals
- Brassmill Lane, Locksbrook and Western Riverside
- City Centre
- Twerton, Whiteway, Southdown and Moorlands
- Pulteney Road
- North Road and Cleveland Walk
- Entry Hill, Perrymead and Prior Park, annex 1 maps 1 - 3, and annex 1 map 4
- Combe Down
- Bear Flat and Oldfield Park
- Beechen Cliff and Alexandra Park
- Widcombe and Kennet and Avon Canal
- Chew Magna (1978)
- Claverton (1981)
- Combe Hay (1981)
- Freshford, including Sharpstone (1975)
- Hinton Blewett(1992)
- Keynsham (2016), Keynsham conservation area management plan and Keynsham conservation area shopfront and facade study
- Midsomer Norton and Welton (2018), character appraisal maps, and character area maps
- Paulton, including Paulton Basin (2003)
- Queen Charlton (2018), and the character appraisal maps
- Radstock, including Braysdown and Clandown (1999)
- Saltford (2018), character appraisal map, and character area map
If your area is not in the lists above and you're unsure if it has conservation area status, you can check our interactive map.