Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Existing discounts or exemptions: tell us about a change in circumstances

If you already receive a discount or exemption and your circumstances change, it may affect your Council Tax bill. It is your responsibility to notify us immediately of any change, so we can recalculate your bill and eligibility for any discounts or exemptions.

This may include changes like:

  • someone moving in or out
  • starting or finishing a course of study
  • a member of your household turning 18

Tell us about a change in circumstances

If you fail to let us know, you could be committing Council Tax fraud. This is when a person gives incorrect or misleading information in order to pay less or no Council Tax. It could happen, for example, if you were living in a single-person household paying Council Tax at the Single Person Discount rate, and someone moves in, or if you finish a course of study and start a job, and don't let us know about your change in status. 

You must tell us within 21 days of the change to make sure you do not commit fraud. You can use our online form to contact us. If you delay in informing us of a change, you may have to pay a penalty. If you pay the wrong amount of Council Tax over an extended period, this could mean a very large bill to pay later. 

Find out more by following the links in the panel: More on Council Tax, Other benefits, and Statistical information.