Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

Post 16 support

Pupils need to continue with education or training until their 18th birthday. This can include attending a further education setting such as college, sixth form or an apprenticeship.

Select a topic below for further detail about the support that may be available to you or your child at this Post 16 transition stage. 

Support with your education and training options

We help Post 16 pupils by providing a range of support services: 

  • Providing guidance at KS4 PEP meetings
  • Organising transition meetings early in Year 11
  • Supporting open day and college taster day attendance
  • Working with the council's Employment and Training Mentor to support those at risk or currently out of training or education to age 19
  • Providing support and guidance on exam results day
  • Working with social care and education provision to help young people remain engaged with education, employment or training
  • Providing foster carers and post care information on careers, qualifications and options for young people at Post 16

Accessing a bursary or other financial support

Young people who are in care and care leavers should get a bursary of £1,200 a year if they stay in full-time education. The college or school will support the young person with this.

Pupils need to apply to their college, sixth form or training provider in order to receive the bursary.

The bursary is paid directly into the pupils' bank account on a schedule decided by the college, sixth form or training provider, and may be dependent on factors such as attendance.

There is a higher education bursary of £2,000 from the responsible council, if care leavers go on to higher education, such as university.

Eligible care leavers may be offered additional support through universities. This can include financial support, reduced fees, year-round accommodation and mentoring.

Finding a suitable course

Several national services can help you find suitable courses.

Year-round accommodation

Most universities offer a 40-week academic-year contract for university-owned accommodation to all students who are care leavers. Most universities also offer 12 weeks of summer accommodation, to allow year-round provision for care leavers.

To get this additional accommodation, you will need to apply to your institution using the processes they specify, by the deadline they set. 

For care leavers who name an institution as their 'insurance choice', or students coming through the clearing system, accommodation departments will try to place students in appropriate university accommodation.

If this is not possible, support and advice will be given to secure the most appropriate private-sector accommodation.