The New Sydney Place and Sydney Road area is one of the 15 areas in our community-led Liveable Neighbourhoods programme. New Sydney Place and Sydney Road are located approximately 0.6 miles north-east of Bath Spa train station.
About the programme
Liveable Neighbourhoods is a community-led programme that aims to improve residential streets and encourage safe, active and more sustainable forms of travel, such as walking, wheeling and cycling.
Typical improvements suggested by communities are:
- Better crossings, footways and cycle lanes to connect homes with shops, schools and community hubs
- Traffic-calming measures to tackle anti-social driving, speeding and inconsiderate parking
- Pleasant places for people to sit and meet others outside
Find out more about LNs and their benefits
Our role is to support communities to develop their own LNs, engaging with them at every stage of development. We want to hear from a diverse range of people to ensure the final designs meet everyone’s needs.
Read more about our approach to developing LNs
Development of this LN
- In Autumn 2020, we asked residents across the district how they felt about LNs, and 48 communities then applied to become a LN, via ward councillors.
- In June 2021, we prioritised 15 areas where development of LNs could start (this included the New Sydney Place and Sydney Road area).
- In December 2021, we asked for your feedback on what was good about the area, what transport-related issues you experience, and what improvements would make the most impact.
- In Spring/Summer 2022, we then held a series of co-design workshops where residents prioritised the measures they wanted to see included.
- During Spring 2023, we will be shortlisting these proposals against a range of criteria, such as costs and practicalities, before preparing the draft designs.
- In Summer 2023, we plan to consult on draft designs for the New Sydney Place and Sydney Road area. This will be an inclusive public engagement to gather everyone’s thoughts on the proposals before we consider the feedback and draw up more detailed plans.
The outcomes of our consultations and engagements are published on our project timeline.
View our full project development timeline
Please expand the sections below to find out more.
Out of the 1,625 responses submitted as part of our public engagement in December 2021, 119 people commented on the New Sydney Place and Sydney Road area. Below is a summary of what people said:
What is good about the area?
- 104 said 'close to shops and services'
- 53 said 'strong community spirit'
- 37 said 'good accessibility, such as walking, wheeling and cycling'
What issues are experienced?
- 98 said 'through traffic'
- 77 said 'speeding traffic'
- 56 said 'parking'
- 45 said 'HGV traffic'
- 42 said 'space for wheeling, walking or cycling'
- 36 said 'school run traffic'
What measures could improve the area?
- 97 said 'a restriction on through traffic or HGVs'
- 40 said 'better or more residents parking'
- 36 said 'new or wider footways'
- 28 said 'new pedestrian crossings'
- 26 said 'trees and planting'
We held a workshop on 13 July 2022 with residents who expressed an interest during earlier consultations to co-design the New Sydney Place and Sydney Road Liveable Neighbourhood.
At the workshop, attendees took part in a series of exercises to identify what they liked about the area, what could be improved, and what specific measures could help, plotting these on a map of the area.
To see the maps and the longlist of ideas suggested by the community, please view the report below.
In August 2022, attendees were invited back to review the outcomes of the workshop and prioritise their ideas, focusing on the original application area. More information on the outcomes will soon be provided below.
Recommendations for design
We are currently shortlisting the community’s priorities for the New Sydney Place and Sydney Road area against a range of criteria, including costs and practicalities.
When this exercise is complete, we will present the recommendations for the New Sydney Place and Sydney Road area LN to the relevant cabinet member. These will be subject to public consultation.
When available, you will be able to read the reports on this web page. This will include the prioritisation workshop report, the recommendation criteria and the single member decision report with the recommended shortlist for the LN area.
In Summer 2023, we will ask for your views on the draft designs for New Sydney Place and Sydney Road LN during a six-week consultation. We would like as many people as possible to share their views on this.
We will analyse and publish all the feedback we receive before drawing up more detailed designs (considering costs, practicalities and timescales).
We will also consider what individual measures will require further statutory consultation (formal TROs, Experimental TROs and 21-Day Notices) and what measures can be installed with no further consultation, such as installing a bench or an informal crossing point.
Please subscribe to our newsletter to be informed of progress. If you would like to receive this newsletter in another format please contact us using the details below.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
View the project development timeline
If you would like to talk to an advisor, get involved in the LN programme or be kept up to date on future events, email us at LNs@bathnes.gov.uk, or call 01225 39 40 25 (and request a call-back from a team member)
Please also let us know if you need this information in easy-read or an alternative format.