The Home Library Service is for readers who have severely restricted mobility, and are not able to reach their local library branch. If this applies to you, the service can offer you a vital link to the full range of library services. Volunteers will visit their local library to collect or return books on your behalf. You can specify the titles you want, or work together with your volunteer to help them to get to know your interests, and make selections for you.
Anyone who has restricted mobility, is housebound, or cannot easily go out alone without help is eligible. The support can be short-term or long-term, depending on your needs. The service is for people with circumstances such as the following:
- living in sheltered housing, an adult residential or nursing home
- living with a long-term illness or disability
- with a sensory impairment
- with profound or severe learning difficulties
- suffering from poor mental health or social and cultural isolation
- with a short-term need for help (for instance, following an operation or accident)
- carers who are unable to leave the home for any length of time
The service we offer
We know that reading has very positive effects on health and wellbeing. We aim to enrich lives by giving access to library services and offering friendly social contact with volunteers who love reading.
The service is free, and offers you longer loan times:
- You can borrow up to 20 items at a time.
- The types of material available include talking books, DVDs, hardbacks and paperbacks, as well as large print books.
- You can borrow books and most other items for up to six weeks.
- You can hire DVDs for up to two weeks for a single hire fee (instead of one week for other library users).
The service depends on volunteers, and is restricted by the number of volunteers we have at any time. If there are family or friends who are sometimes able to assist you with library book ordering or collection, then this will enable us to help other readers who do not have this support.
Apply to join
If you, or someone you know, would like to join the Home Library Service, please email HomeLibraryService@BATHNES.GOV.UK, call the Library and Information Service on 01225 39 40 41, or ask a friend or family member to ask about the scheme at your local library.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer for the Home Library Service, please visit our Library Volunteering page.