Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Schools, colleges and learning
  3. Home schooling: support for children and young people

Home schooling: support for children and young people

Our team are here for you. We want to make sure you are happy, healthy and safe, and learning at home is working well for you. Contact us, and we will do everything we can to help. Choose a subject from the list below to find out more.

If you're scared or worried, or need to talk to someone

If someone is hurting you, a friend or a person in your family, or you are frightened that they might, you can call Childline for help and support on 0800 1111  

Get help from Childline

If someone is in danger now, please call the Police on 999

See a school nurse

If you have a health problem, the School Nursing Service can help, even if you're learning at home. 

If you're aged 4 to 10 years

Your mum or dad, or a grown up you live with, can ask a school nurse to see you. They can do things like this:

  • Check how well you can see and hear
  • Check how you're growing
  • Give you immunisations (medicines to stop you getting ill)
  • Help with problems like wetting the bed at night
  • Help if you're feeling unhappy or worried about something
If you're aged 11 to 18 years

Your parent, guardian or carer can make an appointment for you with a school nurse. You can also contact the service yourself, for a private appointment. School nurses can offer these services: 

  • A general check up of your physical health and emotional well-being, including measuring your height and weight
  • Advice about relationships and sexual health, including the supply of contraception (birth control)
  • Information about drugs and help to stop smoking
  • Support with bladder and bowel health (toileting) problems
  • Support and advice for better mental health and sleep
  • Advice on immunisations which are suitable for your age group, against illnesses such as German measles
  • Access to ‘Early Help’, which means providing you with support as soon as we know your, or your family's, needs

To get an appointment to see a nurse, contact us:

Your privacy

Your health information is confidential (private), but if we are worried about someone's safety, we may need to tell another professional who can help. Our privacy policy tells you what happens to your information.

Know which service to use

Save time and worry by choosing the best way to get help.

  • If it's a medical emergency, always call 999
  • If you have a health question and it's not an emergency, call the 111 telephone helpline service.
  • For ordinary health problems or illnesses, like twisting your ankle, feeling sick or getting chicken pox, you can make an appointment with a doctor. You don't need to be an adult to ask to see a doctor, and if you don't have one, you can find your nearest doctor using the NHS Find a GP service.

Got a problem? We know someone who can help

You can contact any of these organisations to ask for help with things which are making you ill or unhappy.

Mental Health

  • Kooth is an anonymous online community supporting your mental health with a variety of tools and access to free confidential counselling
  • Young Minds offers support for young people's mental health
  • Off the Record provide a range of free services including counselling, listening support, youth participation, advocacy and specialist groups, including a LGBT+ focused youth group
  • Boys in Mind aims to support boys to manage and discuss their mental health
  • OCD Action is a national charity that provides support and information to anybody affected by OCD
  • SupportLine offer confidential emotional support to children, young adults and adults by telephone, email and post

Keeping Safe

  • The NSPCC works to protect children and young people from abuse 
  • Childline is a telephone helpline and online support community for children and young people experiencing a wide variety of problems, from bullying and abuse to family or relationship problems
  • Samaritans is a listening service for people in crisis
  • Papyrus is an organisation working to prevent suicide among young people, and offer support to those affected by suicide
  • Harmless is a user-led organisation that provides a range of services about self harm and suicide prevention including support, information, training and consultancy to people who self harm or are at risk of suicide
  • Self Injury Support provides email, text and web chat support for women and girls affected by self-injury, trauma and abuse
  • No Harm Done is a project run by Young Minds aimed at young people who are self harming or at risk of self harming
  • Thinkuknow works to protect children on and offline

Physical health

  • Change4life offers information and advice about diet, exercise and healthier lifestyles, for people of all ages
  • Eric supports children and young people suffering from bladder and bowel conditions
  • Healthtalk can help you find out about what it’s like to live with a health condition, by watching other people share their stories

Family, relationships and sexual health

  • SAFE B&NES is our advice service on relationships, sexual health and well being for 13 to 24 year-olds
  • Family Lives offers support for problems with family relationships for children, young people, parents and carers 

Drugs and alcohol

  • Frank offers honest information about drugs, both legal and illegal, as well as contact details for local support organisations
  • Project 28 is our young people's alcohol and drug advice and support service. Our Instagram account also offers information and advice on a wide range of emotional and sexual health topics.
  • Re-Solv is a charity working across the UK to end solvent abuse and support all those whose lives are affected by it. They offer telephone, text, email, and online support.
  • Action on Addiction provides help and information to families and individuals who are worried about alcohol or drug misuse problems.
  • We are with you includes specialist services for young people and access to local projects.
  • DrugFAM supports families affected by a loved one’s use of drugs or alcohol.
  • Release provides help, advice, information, support, and referral to people affected directly and indirectly by drug use.

Life skills and preparing for adulthood

  • Youth Connect offer a range of support including youth work, 1-1 targeted support, and careers advice and guidance
  • The Mix is the UK’s leading support service for young people. They can help you take on any challenge you’re facing - from mental health to money, from homelessness to finding a job, from break-ups to drugs. They offer online and social media support, or a free, confidential helpline

Contact us

Our team is here to help you get the education you need. If you have any questions or worries about your learning, or anything that is happening at home, please contact us:

  • By email
  • Send a message to Sam Lerway, Elective Home Education Coordinator at
  • By phone
  • You can also call Sam on 01225 39 44 54 (Monday to Wednesday, 9am to 3pm, Thursday 9am to 12 noon, term time only)