The work we have done
Surveys have identified that structural components of the bridge needed to be maintained, repaired or replaced, for it to continue to function safely.
The refurbishment works ensured the structural safety and integrity of the bridge and preserved the heritage value of this listed structure. This involved:
- Repairs to the truss and deck slabs (the foundation of the flat top of the carriageway)
- Repairs to hanging bars
- Repairs to the masonry abutments (stone supports)
- Repairs and repainting of the cast iron arches and parapets
- Waterproofing to prevent future weather damage
- Installing protective coating systems
These extensive repairs were assisted by a £3.5m grant from the Highways Maintenance Challenge Fund, and by the Department for Transport's headroom uplift for maintenance. The forecast cost will be updated once the hanger bar repairs options are agreed.