Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Claim a refund on your Council Tax

If you have received a Council Tax bill with a credit on it, either through changing address or an overpayment of a discount or exemption, we will need to issue a refund to the account holder.

If you’re the sole bill payer, any credit/overpayment can be refunded to your bank account. You can claim a refund using our online form.

If the bill is in more than one name, each named bill payer must complete this form to confirm how they wish the refund to be paid back. The credit can either be paid back to one person in full, or you can have the amount split between bill payers as required.

We cannot issue any refund until all the bill payers’ have completed this form.

If the credit is due to a change of address and you still live in B&NES, we reserve the right to transfer the credit to your new Council Tax account.

Before you claim

To claim a refund on your Council Tax you will need:

  • Your Council Tax account number
  • Your bank details for a BACS transfer
  • The names of anyone else named on the Council Tax bill

Claim a refund on your Council Tax