Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Parking and travel
  3. Public transport
  4. Applying for a free bus pass (Diamond Travelcard)

Applying for a free bus pass (Diamond Travelcard)

You can get a free bus pass if you are a BANES resident and have reached the qualifying age, or have certain disabilities. The bus pass is called a Diamond Travelcard.

Apply for a bus pass

Choose the correct button below to start the application process. This will check your eligibility for a pass and tell you the documents you will need to provide, when you apply for your pass.

If you need to make a bulk application for several passes for a group or organisation, please make an appointment in advance, to help us to process your applications efficiently. Please send an email to

Using your bus pass

Read the sections below for further detail on using your pass.

How to use your bus pass

You must show your pass to the driver every time you get on a bus. Some bus companies will issue you with a ticket. If so, please keep the ticket until you get off the bus, as you may need to show it to an inspector. If you forget to take your pass with you, you must pay the normal fare.

Where and when you can use your bus pass

You can use your bus pass on all local bus services (including Park & Ride) anywhere in Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire, between 9am and 11pm, Monday to Friday, and all day at weekends and bank holidays. If you belong to a Dial a Ride group, you can also get discounted fares. You can also use your pass anywhere in England (including London), between 9.30am and 11pm, Monday to Friday, and all day at weekends and bank holidays.

Misuse of bus passes

Please note that your bus pass gives you no greater rights than any other passenger (for example, to board a full bus, or to take a seat). If you alter or deface your pass, or allow someone else to use it, we may cancel it.

Managing the loss, change or renewal of your bus pass

Read the sections below for further detail on how to manage changes to your pass.

If your pass is stolen

If you believe someone has stolen your bus pass, you will need to report it to the police and get a crime reference number. You can do this online or by calling 101. Once you have the crime reference number, you can come into an Information and Advice Service for a replacement. There is no charge for replacing a stolen pass if you have a crime reference number.

If you lose or damage your bus pass

If you lose your bus pass, you’ll need to visit an Information and Advice Service to get a replacement. We may need to take a new photograph. There will be a £7 charge for replacing a lost or damaged bus pass and we will cancel the old pass number, so you should destroy it if you later find it.

Changing the photograph on your bus pass

To change the photograph on your bus pass, you can visit one of our Information and Advice Services to have a photograph taken and a new pass issued. If the photograph is being changed because your appearance has changed, this service will be free; for all other photo changes, there will be a £7 charge.

How to renew an older person's bus pass

If you have a pass issued to you because of your age, you do not need to reapply. We will send you a new bus pass a few weeks before the old one is due to expire. You need to make sure that we have your current address; you can tell us this by updating your council tax details. If your new pass has not arrived seven days before the expiry date of your old one, please email us at

If your address or status changes

If your address changes, we will need to update your bus pass. If you move within the council area, please tell us your new address as soon as possible. If your new address is outside the council area, you will need to apply to your new council for a replacement pass. Their bus pass scheme may have different terms and conditions. Please enquire locally. If you no longer need your pass for any reason, please return it to us at one of our Information and Advice Services(or your new local council, if you have moved).