Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

Apply for Council Tax: resident carer exemption

If you have moved into someone else's home to provide care for them, you may be not be counted for Council Tax purposes, when we calculate their bill. This may reduce their Council Tax.


This information is written for carers who are applying on behalf of the person they care for.

To qualify for a resident carer Council Tax exemption, you must be living in the home of the person you care for, providing full-time care (at least 35 hours per week), and must not be their spouse or partner, or their parent if they are under 18.

The person you care for must also be entitled to a disability benefit. Please select the relevant benefit below, to read the detailed eligibility requirements.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance, as defined under section 65 of the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992(2)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

The highest or middle rate of the care component of a Disability Living Allowance, under section 72(4)(a)of that Act

Constant Attendance Allowance

An increase in a Constant Attendance Allowance under the proviso to article 14 of the Personal Injuries (Civilians) Scheme 1983(3), or under article 14(1)(b) of the Naval, Military and Air Forces etc. (Disablement and Death) Service Pensions Order 1983(4)

Disablement Pension

An increase in the rate of Disablement Pension under section 104 of that Act

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

The standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) under section 78(3) of the Welfare Reform Act 2012

Before you apply

To apply for a resident carer's exemption, you will need:

  • to have the Council Tax account number of the person you are providing care for. This is a seven or nine digit number, and you can find it in the top left hand corner of their Council Tax bill. If you are unsure, please view this example bill.
  • the date you moved in to provide care
  • the number of hours of care you provide each week
  • evidence that the person you care for receives one of the qualifying benefits

Apply for a resident carer exemption

Next steps

  • When we receive your application, we will verify the information and issue the person you care for with a new Council Tax bill. They should receive this within 28 days.
  • We will support you through the process of application. If you have any queries or concerns, you can use our online form to contact us.
  • We will check every year they are still entitled to claim for a the resident carer's exemption. The person you care for may receive a letter, asking them to confirm this.

Your responsibilities

  • After applying for the exemption, the person you care for must still pay the amount on their current Council Tax bill, until we issue a new bill.
  • If you disagree with the amount of Council Tax we ask them to pay after the exemption is applied, you can use our online form to contact us.
  • You must respond promptly to any letters we send them about the exemption. We may cancel the exemption if you do not reply when we contact you.
  • You must inform us immediately if the circumstances change (for example, you stop providing care).

Cancelling your resident carer exemption

If you stop providing care for someone and move out of their home, they may no longer be able to apply for a resident carer exemption. You must tell us immediately about any change. If you do not inform us, this might increase the Council Tax bill of the person you care for.

Cancel your resident carer exemption

If their circumstances change in other ways, the person you care for may be eligible for a different Council Tax discount or exemption. Find out more about Council Tax and other benefits by following the links in the panel: More on Council Tax, Other benefits and Information for carers.