Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Business
  3. Licences
  4. Gambling and lotteries
  5. Temporary Use Notice (TUN)

Temporary Use Notice (TUN)

If you want to provide temporary gambling events or activities at a premises without a gambling premises licence, you will need to apply for a Temporary Use Notice (TUN).

Before you apply

You need to read and understand the requirements on this page before you submit an application for a notice. We cannot proceed with your application unless you give us all the information we need.

Warning You must send your TUN application to us at least 3 months before your event.


To be eligible for a TUN, you or your company must hold a Gambling Commission operating licence.

You can only use the same premises for gambling activities under a TUN for 21 days in any calendar year. You can apply for several TUNs for the same premises, as long as you do not exceed the 21 day limit in any 12-month period.

If you do submit an application that means you would exceed the 21 day limit, we will issue a counter-notice to stop the TUN from coming into effect. 

Events held in vehicles are not eligible for TUNs.

Fees and prices

A TUN costs £112.

Licence duration

TUNs we issue are only valid for the specified dates of your activities.

How to apply

We are currently developing an online application form. At the moment, you can complete a PDF application form and email to us at:

Further information

Select a topic below to find out more about TUNs.

The application process

Once you have sent your TUN application to us, you must also submit a copy of your application to the following authorities within 7 days of your application:

  • the Police
  • the Gambling Commission
  • Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

Both we and the responsible authorities can make objections to a TUN. Any objections will be made within 14 days of the notice. If we receive any objections, or we object to the TUN ourselves, we will hold a hearing to determine the notice.

If we do not receive any objections, we will grant the TUN. 

You must display a copy of the notice on the premises for the duration of your event.

Processing time

We aim to determine applications within 28 days.

Tacit consent does not apply. If you do not hear from us within 28 days, email us at:


If you want to appeal a permit rejection, please contact your legal advisor or email us at:


For guidance on TUNs, view the official guidance from the Gambling Commission

You can also read our Statement of Principles under the Gambling Act 2005. This outlines the principles we will apply when exercising our functions under the Act.

Relevant legislation

Gambling Act 2005

We have made the information on these web pages as comprehensive as possible. However, in attempting to simplify the law, certain requirements have been omitted. Full details of what you must do are in the relevant legislation.

Laws can and do change. We must advise that only the Courts can give an authoritative opinion on statute law.