Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Report it

Report an unlicensed house in multiple occupation (HMO)

If you suspect a property is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) and is not licensed, or you have any concerns about an HMO, you can report this to us online.

An HMO is a property with three or more people who are not family members living in it. They could be living in separate rooms but share facilities, such as a kitchen or bathroom, or they may be living as separate households (for example, two separate couples). An HMO with five or more occupants needs a licence.

Before you report it

Check our public licensed HMO register, which is an interactive map of all properties in the BANES area with an HMO licence.

WarningWithin the boundary of the City of Bath, all HMOs of any size with shared facilities, such as bedsits or shared houses, need a licence

Report it

If the property you are looking for does not appear on the map, you can report this, using our online form. All reports will be confidential.

Information you will need, to complete the form

When you complete the report form, we will ask you the following details:

  • The address of the property
  • The number of occupants in the property
  • If you know the names of owners or agents responsible for the property
  • If you would like to be kept updated on the progress of your report
  • Anything you have concerns about

Report online

Next steps

If you are a tenant reporting the property you are living in 

We will (one or all of the following):

  • contact you and arrange a visit to the property (Monday to Friday, between 9am and 4pm). We may also contact your landlord to inform them of the visit.
  • take action, if we identify that the property is unsafe or fails to meet other statutory standards 
  • instruct the landlord to complete repairs on the property. We may do this informally, or by serving a legal notice, which will set out the minimum legal housing standards required. If the landlord fails to get the repairs done satisfactorily, then we can take further action.
  • start a formal investigation, if we find the property to be operating illegally

If you are reporting a property that you are not living in

We will (one or all of the following):

  • carry out a computer search, to see if the property is operating as an unlicensed HMO
  • inspect the property (unannounced or announced)
  • send a letter to the owner, informing them of HMO licensing requirements,  and instructing them to apply for a licence
  • start a formal investigation, if we find the property to be operating illegally