Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Business
  3. Licences
  4. Gambling and lotteries
  5. Occasional Use Notice (OUN)

Occasional Use Notice (OUN)

If you want to use racecourses for short periods of betting at events which are temporary or infrequent, you will need to apply for an Occasional Use Notice (OUN).

If your event meets the criteria for the OUN, you will not need a full betting premises licence for the track.

Warning You can only use an OUN for 8 days or less in a calendar year.

Before you apply

You need to read and understand the requirements on this page before you submit an application for an OUN. We cannot proceed with your application unless you give us all the information we need.

You must provide the day or days you plan to hold these events on your application form.


To be eligible for an OUN, you must be either:

  • the person responsible for the organisation of events on the track 
  • an occupier of the track

The person administering the gambling under an OUN must hold a Gambling Commission operating licence.

You can specify consecutive days on your OUN, but you cannot exceed the overall limit of 8 days per calendar year.

Fees and prices

There is no fee for an OUN.

Licence duration

OUNs we issue are only valid for the specified dates of your activities.

How to apply

We are currently developing an online application form. At the moment, you can complete a PDF application form and then email to:

Further information

Select a topic below to find out more about OUNs.

The application process

Once you have sent your OUN application to us, you must also notify the Chief of Police.

Contact the police by email at:

If you meet the criteria for the OUN, we will grant the OUN. There is no opportunity for counter-notices or objections to be submitted.

Processing time

We aim to determine applications within 28 days.

Tacit consent does not apply. If you do not hear from us within 28 days, email us at:


If you want to appeal a permit rejection, please contact your legal advisor or email us at:


For guidance on OUNs, view the official guidance from the Gambling Commission

You can also read our Statement of Principles under the Gambling Act 2005. This outlines the principles we will apply when exercising our functions under the Act.

Relevant legislation

Gambling Act 2005

We have made the information on these web pages as comprehensive as possible. However, in attempting to simplify the law, certain requirements have been omitted. Full details of what you must do are in the relevant legislation.

Laws can and do change. We must advise that only the Courts can give an authoritative opinion on statute law.