Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Adult social care
  3. Get help with problems related to drugs or alcohol

Get help with problems related to drugs or alcohol

If you or someone you know is experiencing problems related to drugs or alcohol, help is available, either through your GP or your local drug and alcohol service.

WarningIf you're concerned that you or someone else is in immediate danger, go to A&E or call 999.

If you need help, but you're not in a crisis, call Alcoholics Anonymous on 0800 9177 650 or Narcotics Anonymous on 0300 999 1212 any time. You should also be able to contact your GP out of hours, as they will have an out of hours service.

Your local drug and alcohol service

Developing Health and Independence (DHI)

The DHI offer free and confidential help if you live in Bath and North East Somerset and you have problems with drugs or alcohol. They also offer a needle exchange service. You can contact them directly by email or telephone, or you can drop into to see them (in Bath or Midsomer Norton).
Visit their website for full details

You can also talk to your GP about how you're feeling and they might refer you to a drug and alcohol service such as the DHI, or discuss other treatment options with you.

Other help

Find details of support groups and services related to drugs and alcohol in Bath and North East Somerset on our website, Live Well B&NES.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Alcoholics Anonymous offers help if you're struggling with alcohol and allows you anonymity throughout the process. They help with personal recovery and sobriety. You can call them on 0800 9177 650 or email

Narcotics Anonymous

If you're struggling with drugs, call Narcotics Anonymous on 0300 999 1212. If you're not sure whether you have a drug problem or not, they have some guidance around this, as well as information if you're new to them

Social care and support assessment

Drug or alcohol problems can sometimes result in other health or care needs. If you're struggling to do certain things on a daily basis, you can get a social care and support assessment which will assess what health or care needs you have.

Drink spiking

Bath BID have launched the Stop Spiking campaign working in partnership with Avon and Somerset Police, Bath and North East Somerset Council and venues in Bath. Their aim is to educate and support businesses on reporting and collecting evidence of drink spiking. You can find out more information on the Bath BID website.