The Church Street and Prior Park Road area is one of 15 areas in our Liveable Neighbourhoods (LN) programme. It is a residential area located to the south-east of Bath city centre, approximately 0.15 miles from Bath Spa train station.
About the programme
Liveable Neighbourhoods is a community-led programme that aims to improve residential streets and encourage safe, active and more sustainable forms of travel, such as walking, wheeling and cycling.
Typical improvements suggested by communities are:
- Better crossings, footways and cycle lanes to connect homes with shops, schools and community hubs
- Traffic-calming measures to tackle anti-social driving, speeding and inconsiderate parking
- Pleasant places for people to sit and meet others outside
Find out more about LNs and their benefits
Our role is to support communities to develop their own LNs, engaging with them at every stage of development. We want to hear from a diverse range of people to ensure the final designs meet everyone’s needs.
Our approach to developing LNs
Development of this LN
- In Autumn 2020, we asked residents across the district how they felt about LNs, and 48 communities then applied to become a LN, via ward councillors.
- In June 2021, we prioritised 15 areas where development of LNs could start (this included Church Street and Prior Park Road).
- In December 2021, we asked for your feedback on what was good about the area, what transport-related issues you experience, and what improvements would make the most impact.
- In Spring/Summer 2022, we then held a series of co-design workshops where residents prioritised the measures they wanted to see included.
- During winter 2023, we shortlisted these proposals, taking costs and practicalities into consideration before preparing the draft designs.
- In Summer 2023, we plan to consult on draft designs for Church Street and Prior Park Road. This will be an inclusive public engagement to gather everyone’s thoughts on the proposals before we consider the feedback and draw up more detailed plans.
The outcomes of our consultations and engagements are published on our project timeline.
View our full project development timeline
Out of the 1,625 responses submitted as part of our public engagement in December 2021, 92 people commented on the Church Street and Prior Park Road area. Below is a summary of what people said:
What is good about the area?
- 66 said 'strong community spirit'
- 64 said 'close to shops and services'
- 14 said 'public transport links'
What issues are experienced?
- 76 said 'through traffic'
- 64 said school run traffic'
- 58 said 'speeding traffic'
- 26 said 'not enough space for wheeling, walking or cycling'
- 24 said 'parking'
- 24 said 'idling vehicles'
What measures could improve the area?
- 78 said 'a restriction on through traffic or HGVs'
- 26 said 'new pedestrian crossings'
- 25 said 'new or wider footways'
- 22 said 'new or improved cycle lanes'
- 15 said 'spaces to sit'
We held a workshop on 8 June 2022 with residents who expressed an interest in co-developing the Church Street and Prior Park Road area LN.
Attendees took part in a series of exercises to identify what they liked about the area, what could be improved, and what specific measures could help, plotting these on a map of the area.
To see the maps and the longlist of ideas suggested by the community, please view the following report.
Our partner Sustrans is helping to broaden our engagement by involving people in the community with different and seldom-heard voices. During co-design, they visited youth and community groups to gather their feedback.
View Sustrans' workshop report
In August 2022, attendees were invited back to review the outcomes of the workshop and prioritise their ideas, focusing on the original application area. Go to ‘Recommendations for design' for more information.
Church Street through-traffic restriction trial
Due to the support expressed for through-traffic restrictions in several areas in Bath and North East Somerset, we have progressed three schemes ahead of the wider LN programme. This includes a through-traffic restriction trial on Church Street for a minimum of six months (from November 2022).
No decisions will be made on adopting or removing the trial until feedback from the on-going consultation and a six-month survey has been analysed and the wider consultation on the Church Street and Prior Park Road LN has taken place.
Recommendations for design
We have shortlisted the community’s priorities for the wider Church Street and Prior Park Road area against a range of criteria, including costs and practicalities.
In Winter 2023, we presented this shortlist for the Church Street and Prior Park Road LN to the relevant cabinet member. The measures are subject to public consultation.
View the recommended shortlist, recommendation criteria, and workshop prioritisation reports
In Summer 2023, we will ask for your views on the draft designs for the Church Street and Prior Park Road LN during a six-week consultation. We would like as many people as possible to share their views on this.
We will analyse and publish all the feedback we receive before drawing up more detailed designs (considering costs, practicalities and timescales).
We will also consider what individual measures will require further statutory consultation (formal TROs, Experimental TROs and 21-Day Notices) and what measures can be installed with no further consultation, such as installing a bench or an informal crossing point.
Please subscribe to our newsletter to keep informed of progress. If you would like to receive this newsletter in another format, please contact us using the details below.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
View the project development timeline
If you would like to talk to an advisor, get involved in the LN programme or be kept up to date on future events, email us at LNs@bathnes.gov.uk, or call 01225 39 40 25 (and request a call-back from a team member)
Please also let us know if you need this information in easy-read or an alternative format.