Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

You are here

  1. Home

Apply for Council Tax: exemption for your resident carer

If someone has moved into your home to provide care for you or if you live with someone who is caring for you, they may be disregarded for Council Tax purposes, when we calculate your bill. This means you may be able to get a 25% discount on your Council Tax.


To qualify for a Council Tax exemption, your carer must be living with you and providing full-time care (at least 35 hours per week) in your home, and must not be your spouse or partner. The person/s being cared for must be over 18.

You must also be entitled to a disability benefit. Please select the relevant benefit below, to read the detailed eligibility requirements. 

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance, as defined under section 65 of the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992(2)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

The highest or middle rate of the care component of a Disability Living Allowance, under section 72(4)(a)of that Act

Constant Attendance Allowance

An increase in a Constant Attendance Allowance under the proviso to article 14 of the Personal Injuries (Civilians) Scheme 1983(3), or under article 14(1)(b) of the Naval, Military and Air Forces etc. (Disablement and Death) Service Pensions Order 1983(4)

Disablement Pension

An increase in the rate of Disablement Pension under section 104 of that Act

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

The standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) under section 78(3) of the Welfare Reform Act 2012

Before you apply

To apply for a Council Tax exemption for your carer, you will need:

  • to register for Council Tax in Bath and North East Somerset
  • to have your Council Tax account number. This is a seven or nine digit number, and you can find it in the top left hand corner of your Council Tax bill. If you are unsure, please view this example bill.
  • the date your carer moved into your home 
  • the number of hours of care they provide each week
  • evidence that you receive one of the qualifying benefits

Apply for a carer's exemption

Next steps

  • When we receive your application, we will verify your information and issue you with a new Council Tax bill. You should receive this within 28 days.
  • We will support you through the process of application. If you have any queries or concerns, you can use our online form to contact us.
  • We will check every year that you are still entitled to the Council Tax exemption. You may receive a letter, asking you to confirm this.

Your responsibilities

  • After you have applied for the exemption, you must still pay the amount on you current Council Tax bill, until we issue a new bill.
  • If you disagree with the amount of Council Tax we ask you to pay after the exemption is applied, you can use our online form to contact us.
  • You must respond promptly to any letters we send you about the exemption. We may cancel the exemption if you do not reply when we contact you.
  • You must inform us immediately if the circumstances change (for example, your carer moves out).

Cancelling your carer's exemption

If you stop having a resident carer, you will no longer be able to claim a carer's exemption. You must tell us immediately about any change.

If you become the only adult resident in your property, you will become eligible for a single person discount on your Council Tax. Please let us know if this applies to you. If you do not inform us, this might increase your Council Tax bill.

Cancel your carer's exemption

If your circumstances change in other ways, you may be eligible for a different Council Tax discount or exemption. Find out more about Council Tax and other benefits by following the links in the panel: More on Council Tax, Other benefits and Advice and Support.