Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Council Tax and Benefits
  3. Benefits
  4. Appeal against a decision about your benefit

Appeal against a benefit decision

If you disagree with a decision that we have made about your claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, you can ask us to look at our decision again, or you can appeal to an independent tribunal.

If you disagree with a decision about your Universal Credit claim
For Universal Credit decisions, you will need to follow the instructions on GOV.UK.

Ask us to reconsider

You will need to write to us within one calendar month of the date on your decision letter, or you may lose your right to challenge the decision. Please contact us using our online form or write to us at Benefits, Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1JG.

In your letter or email, you should do the following:

  • state that you would like us to look at your claim again
  • explain why you think our decision is wrong
  • include any facts or evidence to back up your claim

We will aim to respond to you within 10 working days. We will either confirm our original decision, or explain how we have changed it.

Appeal against the decision

Housing Benefit
If we confirm our decision, and you still disagree with it, you will need to email or write to us stating the decision which you are appealing against (contact details above). If we cannot change our decision, we will forward your appeal to an independent Tribunal Service who will then contact you directly.
Council Tax Support
If we confirm our decision about whether you are entitled to a Council Tax reduction or how much of a reduction we have given you, and you still disagree with it, you will need to contact the Valuation Tribunal Service within two months of the date on the confirmation letter.