Please enable JavaScript in your browser to use this page.

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Tell us about a change in circumstances

If you receive Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support or Discretionary Housing Payments, you must tell us about any change in your circumstances as soon as possible.

Changes we need to know about

Please tell us if any of the following changes apply to you or your household. You may also need to provide evidence of these changes.

Household changes

  • Anyone moving in or out (we will need to know dates, even if temporary)
  • Any births or deaths 

Income and expense changes

  • Earnings going up or down
  • Starting, stopping or changing work
  • Changes in pension amounts
  • Changes to other benefits
  • Changes in childcare costs (for example, nursery costs)
  • A sudden change in your capital (for example, receiving an inheritance payment)

Rent and residency changes

  • Rental costs going up or down
  • A long illness, or planned hospital stay (more than 13 weeks)
  • An absence from home within the UK (more than 13 weeks)
  • An absence from home outside of the UK (more than 4 weeks)
Warning It is an offence not to tell us about any changes which may affect your benefit.

How to get in touch

Tell us online

Alternatively, you can inform us in other ways:

By email

Send us details of the changes at

By phone

Call us on on 01225 477777 and select the option for 'Benefits' (available Monday to Thursday 10am to 5pm, and Friday 10am to 4.30pm).