If you are a Bath and North East Somerset resident on a low income, you may be able to get a one-off payment to help with your energy costs. The standard payment is £200, while there is a higher rate of £300 for households with one or more people who qualify for certain types of benefits to help with disability or care-related needs and expenses.
The Household Support Fund is funded by the Department for Work & Pensions.
Standard £200 payment
You can apply for the payment if all of the following are true for you:
- You're over 18 years old
- You live at, and pay energy costs for, a permanent address in B&NES
- Your household has less than £6,000 in savings or capital
- Your household doesn't have much money coming in. This means having a combined household income of less than £500 per week, or receiving one of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment Support Allowance
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Support
- Tax Credits
- Pension Credit
Read about help for students
Higher rate £300 payment
You will qualify for an extra £100 on your payment, making a total of £300, if anyone in your household gets any of the following benefits:
- Disability Living Allowance
- Personal Independence Payments
- Attendance Allowance
There can only be one payment per household, unless there are exceptional circumstances. We only have limited funds for this scheme, so once the funding is gone, no further payments will be available.
Before you apply
The application form will ask about your household circumstances and finances. Before you apply, you'll need to get together and be ready to upload the following documents and information for you and any partner who lives with you :
- Up-to-date copies of bank statements* for all of your accounts
- Up-to-date payslips* (if you are employed)
- Your bank details for payment
- Your National Insurance Number (and your partner's, if you have one)
- The number of children and/or pensioners living at your address
*Up-to-date financial evidence means the most recent statement or payslip
What happens next
We aim to process your application within 10 working days. Please do not contact us before 10 working days have passed. If you are eligible, you will receive the payment in the bank account that you have given us details for.
We will contact you if we need any more information. In the meantime, if you wish to discuss your application, please call Benefits on 01225 47 72 77.